Wednesday 20 June 2012

Dermablend Corrective Foundation Cream Stick - Review

My Glossybox arrived today! I haven't done many product reviews in the past but there have been a few things coming through in the last couple of months that I've really enjoyed using. Today's post is about something in this month's box, however. I'll go back and cover some other products in the next couple of weeks, I hope.

Anyway, today I am reviewing Dermablend's Corrective Foundation Cream Stick. It claims to camouflage minor to severe skin flaws, including dark circles, blemishes and excessive redness. I tend not to suffer from excessive redness except when I've had a glass of wine or two, and although I am dedicated to the cause, I have no wine in the house this evening so I couldn't test it for that. I do, however, have a big red spot on my chin. I know right, sexy. Just wait til you see it.

Now, I'm being a little bit brave here. I'm about to show you a photo of what I look like bare-faced. Well, it's not that brave, since I usually wake up too late to do more than sweep on some mascara. But anyway. Brace yourselves.
How you doin'?

So that's what I look like with no make up. Picture was taken in daylight, but it was on the reverse camera side of my phone. I'm sorry, I don't have great tools to work with. Maybe I should get a DSLR for my birthday... 

As you can see, my sexy spot is pretty visible. So I wapped out my new Dermablend stuff (wap is a technical term). I picked Porcelain, which was the lightest one, because I'm pretty pale. I used the tip of one finger to apply some of the cream to my spot, following the instructions for "moderate skin flaws", and I also dabbed some on a few other spots, and under my eyes, where I followed the instructions for pronounced dark circles, although I'm not too shadowy, just a bit baggy in that area. 

Come here often?
This was the result. That big spot is far less obvious, and the wee spots on the other side of my chin have also become a bit more discreet. The circles under my eyes are gone but I also look quite flat - partly due to the lighting as well I imagine. I was pretty impressed by the coverage I got on the big spot. And I probably could have done with a wee bit more on the other side, but over all, a little seems to go a pretty long way.

I then applied my normal foundation over the top on my cheeks and nose and the rest of my chin, which is how I would probably wear the make up on a day-to-day basis. Well not very day, but you know what I mean. 

As you can see, the redness of my spots is completely gone with the Dermablend concealer, much better than with my regular foundation (I use Loreal True Match in Golden Ivory, which I love). Obviously, the spot is still a bit of a bump, so it's not totally invisible, but it doesn't draw your attention in the same way - at least not in real life anyway! There's not a great deal of difference with the dark shadows, but like I said, those aren't a great problem for me in the first place.

I also wanted to know how long wearing the product is. I would have liked to wait the full 16 hours that the product recommended, but it's the evening and I'm lazy. I also touch my face a lot, so I thought it was probably unlikely that I would go 16 whole hours on any day without considering a retouch. Maybe if my make up was tattooed on I might give that a go.

Oh alright, if you insist, you can buy me a drink.
So here I am two hours later after a trip to the hair dresser. Lots of face-touching involved - all those tiny bits of hair! I also caught myself rubbing at the spot before I went out (I do that all the time, it's 'cause they're bumpy!) but resisted the urge to retouch the make up. This was a true to life experiment people!! Overall, it's not that bad, I have to say. I think it's still better than my usual foundation-only approach, and of course it's much better than the bare-faced look.

Overall, I would definitely recommend the product to someone looking to cover up the occasional annoying spot, like me. It covered the redness really well, and it's pretty hard wearing, which is important for fidgety face-touchers! The only think I didn't like was that the little blister packs can't be resealed. That's obviously not a problem if you decide to buy the full size product, but I hope to test it out a few more times before I decide whether or not to invest. I sealed it with selotape instead, because that's how I roll.


And since you're probably all dying to see it, now that I've mentioned it, here's my new haircut. And my kitchen. I'm channelling Cleopatra right now. Or Jessie J.

If you get Glossybox, did you get the concealer? I'd love to know how other people found it, especially if they've tested it for more than just two hours!

Love and hugs

*EDIT* People still occasionally seem to be reading this post, so I thought I'd better update. I wore the concealer on my chin every day for about a week because it was so good at covering that spot, I thought I'd keep going until it was gone. Unfortunately the weight of the product caused the rest of my chin to break out big style. This product gives great coverage, but I would say only to use it for a special occasion, rather than frequent, every day wear.

No comments: