Monday 13 August 2012

Make Your Own Flip Flops - myDIY

I'm having a bit of a clear out at the moment and going through a whole load of old clothes, shoes and craft materials. Whilst I'm keen to get as much stuff out of the house as I can, I also have a lot of things which I don't use very much any more, or haven't used for ages, but I'm still a bit loath to let them go. 

myDIY
And to coincide with this I've been having a look at crafty bloggers and trying to get into pinterest and so on, to find ways to use the stuff that I have to make things that I want and will use. Over on My New Leaf, Kira was talking about a new collaborative online crafting party called myDIY! The idea is that every month there will be a new material idea to work with. Bloggers create tutorials to share, or get creative with inspiration from other people, everyone links them together and everyone gets to see what everyone else is doing. They also have a giveaway for everyone who enters as well, which is a lovely extra treat.

This month the material of inspiration is flip flops! The three bloggers hosting the party this month have all done projects using foam-soled toe-post style flip flops, which are super cool and really cute. I never wear toe-posts, however, because they hurt my atypically shaped feet, so I don't own a pair already. I also didn't feel like I could justify buying a pair of flip flops to turn into something else when I'm trying to clear things out! So I had a bit of a think and came up with this - I took a pair of old trainers which were en route to a charity shop, and turned them into a pair of flip flops! They're super comfy, and I love them so much. I'm already thinking of a hundred and one different ways to style them with different outfits, I'm just waiting for the glue to be 100% dry before I wear them anywhere.
See the tutorial below - I hope you like it! If you want to have a browse, all the projects are linked up here on Inlinkz.
How to Turn Trainers into Flip Flops!
1. You will need: Old trainers, a craft knife or Stanley knife, thin and thick matching ribbons, needle and thread, scissors, PVA glue and multipurpose adhesive.

2. You need start with clean shoes - pop them in the washing machine with something fluffy like some slippers or a towel. Use the synthetic cycle because it has a reduced spin - or your machine may have a shoes programme.
3. With your shoes clean and dry, use your craft knife to cut through the rubber round the front of the toe cap. Make sure that you leave the continuous rim all round the edge of the shoe so it'll be the same height all the way round.

 4. Use your craft knife to cut through the stitching which hold the tongue to the sides.

 5. Use your craft knife to cut the tongue piece close to the sole and remove it completely.

 6. Use your scissors to trim the sides and cut off the fabric all round the back of the shoe. If there's a rubber heel support, cut away the fabric to leave it bare, as this will make it easier to work with.

 7. Use your craft knife to cut off the rubber heel support.

 8. At this stage you will need to assess the structural integrity of the sole. If the upper sole is lifting away from the lower sole, you need to reattach it. Make sure everything is dry inside - especially if you just machine-washed them - and follow the instructions on your all purpose adhesive to stick everything back down.

 9. Snip a triangle out of the end of some of your wider ribbon to make a chevron. Fold the ribbon over the existing piping on the shoe and sew round, attaching the inside and outside at the same time, curving round the shape of the shoe.
 10. Trim a chevron at the other end as well, and tuck the points between the rubber and the fabric at both ends. You may have to use your craft knife to cut a little space here for the ribbon to fit into.

 11. On the inside, use your PVA glue to stick the points down.

 12. Draw round each shoe onto the reverse of the denim scraps and cut it out. Put the piece face up inside the appropriate shoe and use a pen in a similar colour to mark where you need to trim to make a exact fit. Cut off little bits at a time, checking the fit frequently, to make sure you don't cut off too much by accident.

 13. Use your all-purpose adhesive to stick the denim to the inner sole. Spread the glue over the reverse of the fabric, and make sure you go right to the edges, so that every little bit will get stuck down.

14. Put your foot in the shoe and lace it up with the thinner ribbon. I decorated my ribbon with a few beads I found in my stash, but they're optional of course. Tie a bow at the top and trim the ribbon diagonally to the right length. Use PVA glue to seal the ends so they won't fray.

You are now the proud owner of your very own pair of flip flops! Leave them somewhere warm and dry for 12-24 hours to make sure the glue is properly dry, otherwise the sole might slip when you walk in them.

Love and hugs

2 comments:

Sarah Leonard said...

This is an awesome project. I still need to complete my flip flop offering (I am aiming to get it done this week) but this is completely different to what I expected. In a god way!!

Sarah
http://acatlikecuriosity.blogspot.co.uk/

Anonymous said...

that's brilliant Flip Flops Collections.Make Your Own Flip Flops so good.